SUMMER 2018 - 5 FREE PUBLIC LECTURES - ALL ARE WELCOME
SUMMER 2018 - 5 FREE PUBLIC LECTURES - POSTER 8.5 x 11 see below for download instructions
- POSTER (above): Hover cursor over top right corner & click on arrow icon that appears. New window is Google Drive: click download button top right. (8.5x11 B&W 300 dpi high resolution). If difficulty viewing, for direct link to hard drive, click here »
- BULLETIN INSERT (below): Hover cursor over top right corner & click on arrow icon that appears. New window is Google Drive: click download button top right. (2 half-page panels on one 8.5x11 B&W 300 dpi high resolution). If difficulty viewing, for direct link to hard drive, click here »
SUMMER 2018 - 5 FREE PUBLIC LECTURES - BULLETIN INSERTS - 2 half-page panels on 8.5 x 11 download immediately above
Share your interest in these free public presentations!
Public Lectures 2018
- Public Lectures 2018 Week 1: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 @ 7:30pm
Reconciliation as a Spiritual Practice with Mark MacDonald and Melanie Delva
- “Reconciliation” is an oft-used and at times little-understood term when it applies to Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples of Turtle Island (North America). But what is it, why should we pursue it, and how? We will imagine how we as a Church and as individuals can become the force of reconciliation we are called to be.
- Week 2: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 7:30pm
The Hidden Humour in Holy Scripture with John Bell
- Scripture and humour are not comfortable bedfellows. This is not because the Bible is humourless, but because many of us tend to read it as if it were a solemn rule book rather than the record of a constant dialogue between humanity and its Maker. Prepare to laugh.
- Week 3: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 @ 7:30pm
Praying with the Trinity Icon with Brother James Koester
- This week’s lecture will be an experience of praying with the icon of the Holy Trinity. Brother James will make some suggestions as to how to pray with this icon and then leave time for the audience to prayfully gaze at the icon. Following a time of silent gazing there will be an occasion for participants to reflect aloud on what happened for them during the silence.
- Week 4: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 @ 7:30pm
Gerotranscendence: Finding God in Aging with Marv Westwood and Lin Langley
- Growing people change and develop through every season of life, including older age. Though the physical body begins its decline, later life presents opportunity for wisdom, maturity, authenticity and the soul-self to emerge more fully. In this lecture we explore a developmental theory of positive aging called “gerotranscendence” which, as the term suggests, describes a natural process of “rising above aging”. We invite you to consider how the material and rational worldviews of earlier decades may be shifting in your own life to a focus on the divine, and with it the promise of greater vitality and life satisfaction.
- Week 5: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 @ 7:30pm
Beyond Sola Scriptura; Extra-Canonical Gospels, Poetry, and Other Sacred Texts in the 21st Century with Anna Greenwood-Lee
- Are the days of the Reformation's maxim, Sola Scriptura, over? Many people are increasingly turning to texts other than Scripture for meaning and inspiration. What does this mean for the Church, and where might this be leading us?
- Download the poster as a B&W pdf 8.5 x 11 at high (300 dpi) print resolution: click here »
- Download the bulletin insert as a B&W pdf 2-panels on 8.5 x 11 high (300 dpi) print resolution: click here »
SEARCH SORRENTO SITE