with Elizabeth Banister, Lin Langley and Dianne Westwood
"LIFE REVIEW" IS A SMALL GROUP PROCESS of reflecting on, writing about, and telling one’s life history. Understanding where we’ve been, what we’ve done, and how we’ve been shaped by life events, we can better imagine and plan our future.
The thematic approach of “Life Review” brings understanding of the past into the present. The process is not counselling, but is facilitated by trained counsellors and educators.
Small groups meet for 3 hours each morning over 5 days, and for 1 hour on 2 afternoons. Each session focuses sensitizing questions on themes such as branching points, family experiences, and life work.
Participants reflect and write on each theme, read their written “life stories” to their small group, witness others’ stories, and give/receive feedback to/from group members.
Benefits of “Life Review” include
- greater understanding of past experience; confidence to move forward
- re-established interest in past activities
- recognition and renewal of abilities that mobilize past coping skills within current life
- resolution of past resentments and negative feelings
- deeper sense of purpose and meaning.
A telephone interview with a group leader is required to register in this course.
ELIZABETH BANISTER is a Professor of Nursing at the University of Victoria, Registered Nurse and Registered Psychologist. She has a private psychology practice in Victoria.
LIN LANGLEY teaches Communications at Douglas College. In her work she investigates the impact of transformational learning; she finds its full and fine expression in Life Review.
DIANNE WESTWOOD is a Registered Clinical Counsellor with a private counselling practice in Vancouver. She loves how new understandings emerge from the structured conversations of Life Review.
- The Life Review course scheduled for July 16-22 (week two of programming) has been cancelled.
- A note from the Course Leaders: We are very keen to keep facilitating these workshops because we love the process of Life Review and believe it offers the possibility of a rich and valuable experience for participants. We hope to run a Life Review workshop this fall in Vancouver, likely in a weekend format. If you are interested and would like us to contact you about it when we have information about dates and venue please email Lin at: firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the list.