'in other words'
with Catherine Nicholls
In this 4-day workshop students will transform words into imagery.
Using their favourite quotes, poetry, passages or other words of wisdom as a starting place, we will explore different ways to bring those words to life.
Our first two days together will be all about design – through a series of simple activities we will create graphic marks, symbols and imagery on paper.
Day 3 and 4 will see us taking those ideas to fabric, creating compositions and completed designs with our chosen words to guide us.
Students will explore the elements of design as well as specialized fabric techniques.
CATHERINE NICHOLLS is a painter, writer, teacher and quilt-maker. Inspired by legends, stories, and words in general, her work is developed through drawing, painting, and mixed media in sketchbooks. When working with textile, she uses discharge, dyeing, drawing, painting, and printing along with more traditional techniques.
Catherine now lives and works in Gibsons, B.C. and draws inspiration from the natural world, her travels, and the people she meets along the way.
Stories, legends, and the history of people, place, and culture provide her the raw materials for themed exhibitions worldwide.
- Course Fee: $785 includes instruction, meals Monday dinner through Friday breakfast and accommodation.
- Course Only: $400.00 includes tuition, snacks and tax.
- The course instruction time takes place Monday through Thursday.
- Register for this course here »
- Additional informaiton about accommodation » and meals »
- Page header of quilts by Catherine - photograph shown on this blog.